Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Mastering My Decisions
It's seemed that the most logical option would be to take advantage of the career switch program that's offered by the local community colleges. From what I've read about it, it's not a bad deal. I've already got the bachelor's degree. I've been in the real world for more than 5 years. So I'd just need to take a few classes, jump through a few hoops and then I'd be a certified teacher. The only problem is that I would not be certified to teach elementary school. I'd work toward teaching history on the secondary level. I'm sure it's something I could pull off, but I'd prefer teaching the younger grades.
Last week, I got an email from a teacher letting me know about a masters in education program. There are a lot of really great incentives to apply. It's all online. And I'll be done in a year. Oh, and it begins October 6. If I don't start then, I don't get those incentives.
So I kind of have an important decision to make and I need to make it quickly. I have an appointment to speak with an admissions counselor on the phone tomorrow afternoon. I have no idea if this is the right path for me or if I'll be able to receive financial aid or if I'll even be able to get through the obligatory red tape in the next two weeks.
What would you do? Go for the masters degree beginning in only a couple weeks? Or wait a few months to begin the less intensive certification process?
Of course, it may all be a moo point after speaking with the official guy on the phone tomorrow. Guess we'll have to wait and see.