Sunday, April 21, 2013

Wake Up!

The following is based on a true story.

"Wake up!" the alarm on my phone screamed at me during the wee hours of the morning. Okay, it didn't actually scream, "Wake up!" It just made a really loud and obnoxious ringing sound. It's amazing how similar they can make it sound to an old school alarm clock.

I jumped out of bed and turned off the alarm. No, that's not the truth. I rolled, reluctantly, out of the bed. Then I turned off the alarm. 3am. Why on earth would I set my alarm for 3am? I'm sure that's what you're asking. I can't actually hear you asking the question, I'm just assuming.

Last night was prom night in Blacksburg. And that meant that the after prom party was held at the high school. The high school, by the way, is where my church meets on Sunday mornings. So there was much work to be done in order to clean up the school and get it prepared for worship services which would begin at 8:30.

When the after prom was over at 4am, the after after prom committee gathered. We moved tables and chairs, took down banners, swept up glitter. So much glitter. It was so very early.

The rest of the morning went off without a hitch. We were done cleaning a little before 5. So I headed back to Radford because I had a couple hours to kill before I needed to be back at the school to help set up for church. I was productive with my time. I got my grocery shopping done. You'd be surprised how many people aren't at Wal-Mart at 5am. It was glorious.

I was back at the high school by 7. I helped with the set up process, making sure everything was ready for folks to start arriving. I stayed for the early worship service, then I headed back to my apartment again. I had every intention of staying awake and getting stuff done. But then I fell asleep.

Before I fell into my nap, I had the presence of mind to set my alarm for the afternoon. See, I had to go back to Blacksburg (for the 3rd time in one day) for my very first members meeting at church. I officially joined up last month. So I really didn't want to miss out on hearing exactly what is going on in the life of my church. I remember going to business meetings as a kid and walking away feeling like humanity was lost. I didn't get that feeling today. I freakin' love my church.

So yeah, I dealt with my phone yelling at me again. "Wake up!" This time it was 3pm. Not as ridiculous as the morning counterpart. But it's kind of been a long day. It's been a good day. But it's been a long one.

No comments:

Post a Comment