Thursday, May 10, 2012

Adventures in Moving

Well, it's been an interesting couple of weeks. I'm in a new apartment now. And let's share about how I got here.

Over the weekend I made the drive to Radford to pick up the key to the place from the girl that's subleasing for me. Or to me... I'm never really sure how this whole thing works. In our previous communications, she asked me if I would need the apartment furnished. Since I got rid of all my furniture from my previous place when I moved out, of course I said yes. Imagine my surprise when I pick up the key and she tells me that the good people in the office don't have any furniture to put into their furnished apartment.

It's a good thing I'm such a calm individual, because I really could have panicked. But I didn't panic. I went to the office to complain in a non-confrontational kind of way. But none of the official employees were around, since the office closes at 2 on Saturdays. I take that back, there was an official employee there, but she had no power. She was just a college kid who was there to answer phones and take messages. My message was never returned, BTW.

My next move was to call the Other Single Guy to see if he was free to help me again... for the second weekend in a row. Luckily, he was free on Sunday afternoon. He made the drive to Roanoke, where we got the bed right back out of storage, and took it to Radford. Luckily, that's all I really needed. I can get by without a desk or a dresser for a couple months. Sleeping on the floor for that long was really not an option.

In August, if the place for which I've actually signed the lease doesn't have furniture, heads will roll. Figuratively speaking, of course.

Now, let's talk about the roommate situation. I haven't met any yet. I know that seems weird. It feels weird. Thing is, schedules don't seem to coincide. I spent my first couple nights here and went to bed early. Tuesday morning I left my room for work and found a note waiting for me. It was addressed to "Person" and signed "Person Moving Out." At least he or she was nice enough to leave a phone number so that I could call or text to let them know if I needed them to leave their couch behind. I texted to let them know I would only be here for 2 months. The couch was entirely unimportant.

Yesterday, when I got home from work, I noticed that they had removed their TV and entertainment center from the living room (along with the loaf of bread I bought on Sunday). This morning I woke up and saw that someone had moved in a new entertainment center and a flat screen. Interesting.

I guess one person moved out and another moved right in. Somehow I've still managed to miss the new roommate as well. Ships in the night, my friends. Ships in the night.

Should be an interesting summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment