Wednesday, March 09, 2011

'Cause I Wonder Where You Are

Monday was a busy day, and it started kind of early. Not really that early for a typical Monday. But this Monday was no typical Monday. It was a vacation Monday. Vacation Mondays are meant for sleeping late. Well, they are if you don't have a job interview at 8:30 in the morning.

More back story...

Around the beginning of February I applied for a couple open social worker positions back home in Roanoke. I've been trying to get out of banking almost the entire time I've worked in banking, this is no secret. Things just haven't really panned out for me thus far. Now, for selfish reasons, I would love to find a job in or around the Raleigh area, making the need to relocate a non-issue. However, jobs are difficult to come by these days. So when one opens up and I have a shot at it, no matter where it is, I'm gonna take the shot.

Applied. Resumed. And went several weeks without hearing anything. So I wrote it off as a negative response. And then I checked my mailbox a couple weeks ago.

I received a letter saying that they wanted me for an interview. The only problem was that the interview was scheduled for the day I received the letter in the mail. Not a great system they have there for letting their potential interviewees that they're wanted for the interview. I mean, there's this little invention called the telephone. I hear it's caught on pretty well. Oh, and the kids keep talking about this "electronic mail" that apparently sends messages instantaneously. You don't even need to pay postage. I don't know if that will catch on. We'll see.

Anyway, the letter informed me that if I wanted the interview, I needed to call by the previous day to confirm my time. So I did what any sane person would do. I hopped in my Wayback Machine and made the phone call. I confirmed my interview, scheduled that Thursday off, then drove into Roanoke to meet and greet my interviewers. But wait, if I did that, then I wouldn't have been there Thursday to receive the letter in the mail and I'd be stuck with a universe altering paradox.

Scratch that. I did not travel back in time.

I called the next morning to see if anything could be arranged. And luckily a phone interview was arranged for the following Monday. So Monday's phone interview came and went. I didn't think it went very well. I really don't like phone interviews. You can't read people's faces so you don't know what they're really thinking. There are long moments of silence while the interviewers are writing things down and you can't help but wonder if your stupid cell phone dropped the call. Very frustrating.

But this past Wednesday I received another call asking if it would be okay for them to check my references. From this, I assumed it was a good sign. And from that, I can assume that my phone interview went better than I initially thought. They called my manager at the bank, who gave me a glowing recommendation. I asked him how badly he had to lie. In his words: "I'm not Catholic, but I did have to go to confession for all the lies I told." He was joking, of course... I think.

And Thursday they called me again, this time to set up an in-person second interview. I'm pretty sure they don't just give second interviews to everyone who fills out an application. I'm taking this as another good sign. This brings us to this vacation Monday. Isn't it great how all this worked out? I just happened to be in Roanoke on vacation at the same time that I was needed for a job interview. It's a little thing I like to call "meant to be."

I'm not trying to count my chickens. I mean, don't get me wrong, the interview went well. I suited up and gave some pretty good answers. I was open and honest and even got a few laughs out of the room. I'm not sure when I'll know if I got the job, but it should be within a couple weeks, I'm sure.

That was the beginning of my Monday. This was followed by some running around. I met Jessica for a breakfast that stretched into lunch. It's great catching up with a friend like that when you haven't seen each other in so long. I visited my grandmother and drove her to pick up my cousin from school. And to top the day off, Mom made chicken and dumplings. And I ate. A lot. I collapsed into a food coma, from which I finally awoke about an hour ago.

All in all it's been a pretty decent trip to the 'Noke.

No comments:

Post a Comment