Yesterday morning as I arrived at work, I noticed that something smelled odd. It began outside. I wrote it off as just being someone's car that smelled strange, and continued on about my business. I walked inside and the smell was even stronger.
But we continued with the daily routine of opening up the branch. Several others commented on how it smelled like gas in here. So then our manager stepped in to save the day. Well, really she just made the call that we should shut down until some official gas-company-types with official gas-detecting-equipment could come and scope out the situation.
So all employees were evacuated across the street to the local McDonald's. We enjoyed an impromptu breakfast of Egg McMuffins and Sausage Biscuits. But the bank didn't pay for these things. No, no... we were on our own for this meal.
We sat in the fast food joint for a good 90 minutes waiting for the all-clear signal. Eventually it came and we went on with our day like a normal Friday. Later in the day, as part of an "employee appreciation" deal, we got pizza from Pizza Hut. During this lunch, the manager let it slip that the gas guys told her that if our attic was not as well ventilated as it is, we could have found ourselves in a potentially toxic and/or explosive situation.
I risked my life to go to work on Friday. My very life! I think the bank now owes me a little more than a meat-lover's pizza.